Saturday 28 February 2009

Bowerchalke Views Using A Different Mapping Source

I've been looking around on the Internet and come across the following aerial photographs of the old Bowerchalke Cricket Field* and the surrounding area.

These photographs seem to be slightly better, offering more flexibility, appear to be more recent and have more detail on them.

* I've decided that 'field' is better description than 'gound' and fits in better with how people locally would have known it and referred to it.

THE CRICKET FIELD
It's interesting to note the much clearer definition of tractor tracks on this photograph and the 'linking' of the two gates. I don't believe it was ever that well defined when cricket was played there.
View this aerial image on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com


THE ENTRANCE GATE HIGHLIGHTED
Note that tree just south of the gate on the field border. I wonder how long that has been there?
View this aerial image on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com


THE LOCATION OF THE OLD PAVILLION
This is where I remember it being, as I said in a previous blog entry it looks like the concrete base is still there, although that might be something else now...perhaps a new building?
View this aerial image on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com


THE LOCATION OF "GRANDAD GULLIVER'S" STYLE
This is where I remember him standing and watching the game around tea time (see comments in previous blog entry).
View this aerial image on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com


HOLLY CLOSE, HOME OF GRANNY & GRANDAD GULLIVER
Ah, this brings back memories. I always remember the garden being 'huge' and a great place to play, especially in the summer. There were grass paths that cris-crossed the garden (an exciting place to play when you were a small boy!). The vegetable and flower beds were beautifully dug and laid out. I don't recall ever being allowed to play cricket on the thin rectangular lawn that stood in front of both houses (with a garden tap sticking up in the middle)...although I may have done, I was probably too 'scared' to because I knew what would happen if any flowers were broken off! I wonder if Dad, Richard, David or Derek ever played cricket there?

Mr and Mrs Stevens next door sometimes kept pigs and the sty was at the bottom of their garden.

Chickens were kept by both houses: Grandad just outside the garden in the field and Mr. Stevens at the back of the house. I sometimes used to walk from Holly Close, through the chicken pen and out the back, over the hill to the cricket field and Rookhay Farm. It seemed like miles and miles then but looking at the photograph I don't believe it is actually that far! It's a bit hillier than the photograph shows though!

Today, the gardens have now been significantly reduced in size with the addition of some much needed new housing which can be seen on the photograph.

View this aerial image on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com


THE LOCATION OF THE OLD BELL INN
I believe this is the location of the old Bell Inn.
View this aerial image on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com

No comments:

Post a Comment